I always say that I have have the best job in the world... I get to document people's lives, and provide them memories that are cherished for lifetimes. My goal is to capture the the true emotions that tell your story. Please take a look through blog and contact me if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you!

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why I became a Photographer... : Washington DC Portrait and Wedding Photographer

I really wanted to start making my blog more about who I am, my journey, and my photography point of view instead of just place to post my new photos. I thought I would start off by sharing the story of why I decided to start a photography business.

I am not one of those people who grew up taking pictures of everything and everyone. I loved taking photos when I would travel and always felt extremely inspired by the beauty of the places I went, but when I would come home, the inspiration would leave and I would usually put away my camera until my next big adventure. My point and shoot digital Camera broke in November 2007, and I started shopping around for a new one. I decided that instead of a small point and shoot I would really go for it and purchase "nice" camera.

In January, 2008 I purchased my very first Digital SLR camera, the Canon Rebel XT and after I bought it, it pretty much sat in my camera bag untouched. My husband gave me a hard time about spending all that money (which was nothing, now that I know how much photography equipment really costs) for something I didn't even use, so after three months of sitting in a lonely camera bag, I decided that I would finally take some "nice" pictures with my "nice" camera. My sister was visiting my parents with her adorable children, so I had the perfect subjects! I got to the house, set my camera on automatic and had my very first photo-shoot. As I was chasing my almost 2 year old niece around the house, making my best attempt to capture that sweet smile, it happened... I fell in love with photography (yes that abruptly).

The next thing I did was to I called up all of my friends with kids and asked if they could be my test subjects. I then embarked on a journey to learn everything I could about photography. I e-mailed photographers I liked, I read books, I read articles, and soaked up all the information I could. I feel like I have come a long way in the past year in both the knowledge I have and the understanding of how much more there is to learn. I am grateful for all those who have and continue to support me (especially my wonderful husband and my mom :-).




This was taken back in May. She is my adorable niece Lacee, and I love her to death!

(Disclaimer: I'm NOT a writer, I do not claim to be a writer, nor do I have any desire to be a writer, so I apologize for all my grammar and spelling errors!)

4 comments:

Laurin West said...

Hey Emily,

This is Laurin West. I used to live by you but now I am up in Frederick. I need to get some pictures done of my two kids. My daughter is three and my baby boy is eight months. I wanted to know if you are available and when. Also what the prices are and kind of how everything works. I love your work. You can e-mail me at laurinwest@gmail.com. Thanks!

Thompson Family said...

Hey Emily!!! How are you? Jackson is definitely growing up too fast:( He is almost one! I wish you were here to take his pictures; I love your photos! I want a one of those canvas wraps! We will have to have a photo shoot whenever we are able to get together!

Diana said...

Amen! :) You are awesome!

Cristen said...

Wow! Great work.....:)