I always say that I have have the best job in the world... I get to document people's lives, and provide them memories that are cherished for lifetimes. My goal is to capture the the true emotions that tell your story. Please take a look through blog and contact me if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you!

Thursday, September 3, 2009

SEO...

So I have a blog, a website, a facebook fan page, a twitter page, a wedding wire page, and adds on craigslist, but I'm still not meeting my goals of website viewership. I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with SEO (search engine optimization) and would like help a web illiterate soul out... I have been doing a bit of research and it seems that having your website linked to other websites helps increase your search engine rating, so anyone who wants to put a link to my website on theirs would be my new favorite person ;-)

Now, for those who don't read my posts and only like looking at the photos (I'm not a big text reader either...), here is a favorite Image of mine that I have never shared:



Emily Hayes Photography
Washington DC Wedding Photography

2 comments:

i love that photo [moved] said...

This photo is beautiful! I enjoy looking at all of your prints!

Terra Dawn said...

Hey Emily!!

SEO can be a tricky business!! lol...and building readership is always a slow process.

Just some key things to get you started though are, like you said...links. But not just people linking to you, but you linking to people. If you collect vendor information after weddings (or any shoots where you work with vendors) then you can post the vendors at the bottom of your posts with links to their websites. Many times, they might reciprocate on their own blogs and websites!

Also, if you sign your name at the bottom of each post in your blog and include your link...voila! Links to your website. They won't count for too much until your blog is highly trafficked...but they will definitely count for something!

Also, when you comment on other people's blogs...that also helps to boost your rankings. When you leave your bloglink next to the comment field it counts as a link on another website!

When you have a ton of words on your page, google is more likely to crawl it...so a blog will usually be the first to go up in rankings. (That's also why you see a whole lot of...*thoughtful pause*...mediocre photographers high in the rankings. Their main pages are usually covered in text.) Therefor, when you comment on someone's blog, it's usually better to leave your blog address instead of your homepage address. Plus, sometimes, they will return the comment! And a new reader is born. lol.

I know SEO is a bit frustrating....I'm still learning about it everyday, too. These are just a couple of hints to getchya started.

I absolutely adore your work and think I'll stick around for a bit!! :)