I always say that I have have the best job in the world... I get to document people's lives, and provide them memories that are cherished for lifetimes. My goal is to capture the the true emotions that tell your story. Please take a look through blog and contact me if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you!

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Nana

I have kind of been putting off writing this post, but not to do it would ignoring the importance of my dear Nana to me. Faith Church Seay passed away on November 14, after living 84 amazing years. She wasn't just a grandmother to me, but she was truly a best friend. Every Sunday I would go visit her and we would have 1-2 hours of just girl talk. She was truly an amazing woman and I don't feel that I can really really convey it my words. She was a wonderful writer, a smart businesswoman, a loving mother, and she devoted her live to the service of others. She was the best person I know and she will be dearly missed. My mom wrote an lovely obituary and I wanted to share it so you could get a little sense of who she was.


Photobucket
(I took this picture of Nana and my niece Addy back in May. I just love it!)

Faith Church Seay

Faith Church Seay, 84, a native of Washington DC who devoted her life to serving those in need, died at home on November 14 of cancer.

As a 5th generation Washingtonian, Faith developed her love of service as a young girl in her SW Washington home. Growing up just blocks from the Washington Monument she witnessed the tragedies and triumphs that took place here. Alongside her family she began serving the countless people in need during the depression. Her compassion for those in need continued into the War years when she became as a Red Cross worker at Walter Reed Hospital. She met her husband, Temple W. Seay, Jr. during this time and they were married in 1948. Faith’s compassionate service continued to the last days of her life. She volunteered with special needs children at the Episcopal Center for Children in NW Washington and the Washington Home (formerly known as the Home for Incurables) for more than 40 years. She also volunteered at the Home the for Blind in Georgetown, Jr. Villiage in Anacostia, Martha’s Table in NW and countless acts of kindness through her membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

She attended Jefferson Jr. HS and was president of the first graduating class. She went onto graduate from Coolidge HS and then onto Strayers Business College. Her skill in shorthand and typing would serve her well. While working for the Atomic Energy Commision she was asked to provide a name to the new atomic weapons testing program. Ironically her love of nature and flowers inspired the name “Operation Greenhouse”. She would continue her work at the AEC until 1953 when her oldest son was born. She once wrote “I try to convey God’s great love of mankind and how we can feel and see Him through His nature paintings. I feel it is very important to voluteer our services in any way we can to make life happier and easier for other less fortunate.”

She is survived by her sons, Michael Seay (Frances Seay) of Washington DC and Thomas Seay of Bethesda, MD; 5 grandchildren, Michael Seay, Jr. of Washington DC, Katharine LeCheminant (James) of Provo, Utah, Emily Hayes (Todd) of Gaithersburg, MD, Robert Seay of Logan, Utah & Bryan Seay of Washington DC and 3 great-grandchildren; Addy (3), Luke (2) & Claire (2months) LeCheminant.

3 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

I'm sorry for your loss! She will be missed!

Diana said...

Emily I'm so sorry I didn't know about your Grandma. I knew that you loved her very much and that you loved to visit her. Grandmothers are wonderful. I feel so lucky to have known mine in the same way you did yours, as friends. Love you

Anonymous said...

Emily,

I knew your grandmother when I was a kid. I was your dad and uncle's best friend growing up in Spring Valley. I recently heard of her passing and I was so sad by the news. You see, I spent probably more time at her house than I did at my own in the 60's. Faith was funny and kind and I can never ever remember her saying a cross word. Whenever she would send your dad and me to fetch the evening steak for your grandfather there was always a few extract dollars placed in our hands for soda's and candy. She was great, I have nothing but wonderful memories of her. Please accept my deepest sympathies.
Eric Carlson